Friday, 21 March 2014

Tips for wearing bold black eyeliner - Makeup of the Day

One of my favourite makeup looks recently is having a very natural eye with bold black eyeliner which may be obvious from my recent Makeup of the Day posts I have been doing. Now although I really love the look of bold eyeliner it is very easy to hae it become too harsh where you end up looking like a raccoon. So I have decided to give you a few of my tips and tricks for creating a wearable bold eyeliner look!

What products are my favourite for creating a bold eyeliner?

I recently bought my Maybelline EyeStudio Gel Eyeliner which I cannot get enough of! It is by far one of my favourite makeup products of all time and you can see my full in depth review of the Gel Eyeliner here. I also like using a black eyeshadow to soften the edges and I have been using my Sleek eyeshadow palette in Original/Storm which both contain a matte black shade, although any black eyeshadow will do.


Steps to create a bold eyeliner..

First I take my Maybelline EyeStudio Gel Eyeliner and create a thick line across my upper lashes. I personally like to keep this line bigger at the outer edges of my eye and go thinner as I go into the inner corner. Once this line has been created you then take a matte black eyeshadow on a small precision brush (could be a rounded top brush or a slanted eyeliner brush etc) and smudge this along the top of the line you created. This will not only blend out the outer edges and give it a more smokey feel but it will also help straighten the line and get rid of any mistakes you had before.

Next I usually take that same brush and apply the remaining colour on the brush to my lower lashline. This line you really want to smoke out and have it gradually fade into your skin colour. Make sure you spend a great deal of time on this as it will look very intense and harsh if the line is not blended enough. This line on the bottom can be as thick as you would like it to be but I personally like it almost bigger than the top line.
To finish off the eyeliner either use a gel or pencil eyeliner in your waterline and make sure all of the ‘flesh’ colours of your eye are covered and no spots are showing between the waterline colour and the colour that is blended on your lower lashline. And now you should have a very smokey bold eyeliner.



Tips for making a bold eyeliner wearable..

Give some Dimension! After your eyeliner has been completed it may still look very flat without any dimension so to avoid this you can add a darker eyeshadow colour into your crease. This will give your eye more dimension and give you a 3d look which I find very flattering on the eye. You can use any colour you would like for this step but in my pictures I used a dark cranberry and matte medium brown shade in my crease. Make sure that you blend this colour out very seamlessly.

Highlight the Inner Corners! Highlighting the inner corners of your eyes really opens up your eyes and makes you wide awake. I like doing this step with any makeup look but I find that when you pair this with a bold eyeliner it really does lighten the look a little and makes it look less harsh.

Fill in them brows! This can be a personal preference but I find that when you do a dark eye look you should have your brows shaped and filled in so it balances everything out. Although I like to do this you can obviously choose not to do this step if you normally do not fill in your brows

Use a bold lip shade! I absolutely love pairing a bold lip colour with an intense eyeliner look and feel it pulls the whole look together. Imagine wearing a really intense eye look and pairing it with a nude lip, it just feels unbalanced on the face. So my favourites is to use a red, berry, purple or some type of bold lip shade to compliment the look!
Keep minimal on the cheeks! If you do intend on doing a intense eyeliner and bold lip I would recommend keeping the cheeks very minimal as you don’t want to look like a clown yikes! I love wearing a very light pink shade or even a coral shade that gives you a little colour without being a big pop of colour. I think that bronzing would also look very pretty with bold eyeliner so if you love a little bit of contour go for it! 


Products I used for the pictures in this blog

Eyes

Eyeliner: Maybelline Eye Studio Gel Eyeliner – Black
Eyeshadow to put on top of Eyeliner: Sleek Eyeshadow Palette – Storm (matte black)
Crease Shade: Sleek Eyeshadow Palette – Storm (matte brown + dark cranberry)
Eyeliner Under Lashline: Maybelline Eye Studio Gel Eyeliner - Black
Inner Highlight: Sleek Storm Palette – Storm (gold shimmer shade)
Mascara: MUA Lash Boom Mascara

Face

Foundation: L’Oreal True Match Liquid Foundation - Ivory
Powder: MUA Pressed Powder – Shade 1
Concealer: Collection 2000 Lasting Perfection Concealer – 01 Fair
Eyebrow Gel: 2True Instant Colour Mascara -1 Clear
Eyebrow Colour: Sleek Eyeshadow Palette – Storm (matte light brown shade)

Cheeks

Blush: ELF Powder Blush – Candid Coral
Highlight: ELF Healthy Glow Bronzing Powder – Luminance

Lips

Lipstick: MUA Lipstick – Shade 2

Lip Gloss: ColorSensational Cream Gloss – Fabulous Pink

9 comments:

  1. im in awe at how well you apply your eyeliner haha! i love this look too but i deffo cant pull it off as well as you! i'd love it if youd check out my blog and comment back :) http://amyelizabethfashion.blogspot.co.uk/2014/03/benefit-hoola-review.html xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Being 100% honest I felt exactly how you do and thought 'I can never pull of dramatic eyeliner' but then one day I just thought to myself I'm going to give it a try, if it turns out horrible I will just wipe it off and do something else and it turned out good. I think it just takes practice more than anything, you should give it a try!

      Delete
  2. I'm so jealous of you being able to pull off that kind of bold eyeliner! You really suit it :)

    Ellie xx | http://theleobeauty.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I really do love the whole bold lip and eyeliner look lately! I think the biggest thing with bold eyeliner is practice! You just have to say to yourself if I don't like it I can always take it off and do something else! If you try it out sometime please let me know how it goes!

      Delete
  3. You look beautiful, it's a very bold look and it really suits you :o) Xx

    Makeup by Candlelight

    ReplyDelete
  4. So beautiful!
    I always use eyeliner for my makeup, just love it:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a simple but beautiful bold look! I love it!
    -Jess || theduffy101.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. You make it look so easy. I always make a mess of my liquid liner.
    * follower, love it if you followed me. http://reneehartsthis.blogspot.com.au/
    Renee x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your eye and your smile are so beautiful. eyeliner tips

    ReplyDelete

UA-51663625-1