Thursday, 20 March 2014

Maybelline New York Eyestudio Lasting Drama Gel Eyeliner 24H - Review / Swatches

On my last Boots haul I picked up a few things on their 3 for 2 event running across all cosmetics, one of these being the Maybelline Eye Studio Gel Eyeliner in Black. The Maybelline Eye Studio Gel Eyeliners come in a few different colours including Black, Violet, Black Gold and Brown. The gel eyeliner costs around £8 at your local drugstore but can usually be found on a deal so you get it a little cheaper. The box comes with a pot of the gel eyeliner along with a brush specifically for use with the gel eyeliner.


Previous experiences with eyeliners..

Before I get into the review I want to give you a little background information about what liners I have used previously. I most commonly used pencil eyeliners in the past, my favourites being MUA Colour Intense Eyeliners and the Maybelline ScandalEyes Waterproof Kohl Kajal Eyeliners. I also attempted using liquid eyeliner from the MUA brand in both the normal and waterproof formulas. Although I consider eyeliner an essential when wearing eyeshadow, I have never been overly attached to any one eyeliner method or even the type of eyeliner whether it be liquid or pencil. I always find it very difficult to do my eyeliner without bumps and streaks and never found my ‘holy grail’ eyeliner before.


What is a gel eyeliner and why use one?

A gel eyeliner basically comes in a little pot which you would then dip your brush into the product and sweep it across your eye. The consistency of the eyeliner is almost like a Jello/jelly consistency where the product is a solid but when you get some product on your brush the brush instantly pushes through the product with ease. Many people find that gel eyeliner is in fact the easiest to use as you have the most control as you are using a brush and can go at your own pace. The product is usually very opaque so it does not contain streaks and only requires one coat to be very black.


What do I think of the Maybelline Eye Studio Gel Liner?

First off I love that this product comes with a brush to use with the product. The brush is almost like a very tiny eyeshadow brush that is rounded at the tip and very short. The bristles are very dense which makes it very easy to press colour onto the lash line or swipe it across the eye. I find that the brush is also thin enough that you can easily create winged eyeliner which I have never really been able to do very easily.


The actual eyeliner itself is very creamy and easily grabs product when you press your brush into it. The colour payoff is incredible and comes off as being extremely black without any fading or looking ‘grey’. The pigmentation is amazing and honestly only requires one swipe and you are done without needing to touch up or go over the line you created again!


The best thing about this product though is it lasts all day without smudging too badly even when it is not set with powder (I typically do not set my gel eyeliner with any powder). I honestly wear this eyeliner maybe 13+ hours in a day and it is still looking perfect on my eyes with the exception of my outer corner of my eye which usually smudges just a tiny bit. I have watery eyes especially this time of year because of my allergies so I do not find this too bad considering the eyeliner overall still looks perfect! I also use this in my waterline which may be controversial to some of you but it stays on my waterline pretty good even after 12 hours of wear. Of course around the inner and outer edges it will smear a little but overall you can still see the black on the waterline.

1 coat of Maybelline Gel Eyeliner on lash line and waterline
1 coat of Maybelline Gel Eyeliner on lash line and waterline
Overall is this a product worth trying?


Overall I think that this eyeliner is by far the best eyeliner I have ever sued and I now consider it my ‘holy grail eyeliner’. I actually don’t think I could ever go back to my pencil or liquid eyeliners again as I find this so easy to work with and almost every time I come out with a perfect line without bumps and a spot on wing! I definitely think all of you should give this a try because it may indeed change your makeup experience just like it has mine! If you do try this product let me know what you thought of it down in the comments below! 

8 comments:

  1. I've been using eyeliner since I was 15 or 16 (now I'm 22 going on 23) and THIS ONE is definitely my favourite too! I have it since a couple of months and I wear it daily .. so it's definitely amazing.
    xx,
    Alina Roxana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree it is just exceptional! I don't think I will ever be able to stop buying this eyeliner as it has just blown me away!

      Delete
  2. I absolutely LOVE that this comes with the brush! I've got to go try this!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a really nice touch that it does come with the brush so you don't have to go out and buy a separate brush in order to use the product. I think that the brush is really nice quality as well and it creates a really nice line! You should definitely try it out, you won't regret it!

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a nice product! I'll have to check it out!
    xx beautyybychloe.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for doing a review on this! I'm definitely going to try and pick it up here soon. (: Hearing that it has good lasting power, great pigmentation and it glides on easily, makes me want to go get right now! Like I said in your Boots Haul, I didn't like gel liners because the first I tried was E.L.F's. Also, loving the makeup look for St.Patty's Day (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made the same mistake and tried the Gel Eyeliners from ELF but they are one of the worst makeup items I've ever purchased. When it was sent to me in the mail it was already hard and dry and the Maybelline one is the consistency of like.. mouse almost? or a jelly type consistency where if you even touch the brush to the product it sinks into the product. You will not regret buying this product and it will last all day with little to no smudging! Let me know how it goes for you if you give it a try.

      Delete
  5. I have been using L'oreal Lineur Intense Brush Tip Liquid Eyeliner for... years lol because it allowed me a lot of control for the winged eye look, but I don't apply it to my waterline. I have found it loses its intense blackness though after several hours of wear, so I am interested to try this gel liner out!

    Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete

UA-51663625-1