Thursday, 16 January 2014

Maybelline Eyestudio Quad Smoky Glam - Review / Eye Tutorial

Hello everyone! I have had the Maybelline Eyestudio Smoky Glam eyeshadow palette in Smoky Indigo for a long time and somehow it had gotten lost in my makeup collection. While looking through my collection the other day I found it and decided to create a review on the eyeshadows and tell you all what I think of it. This eyeshadow palette retails for around £4 and can be found at your local drugstore or on Amazon.






These palettes come with 4 eyeshadows that normally give you a highlight, a light, medium, and dark shades in one particular colour. This eyeshadow palette in particular comes with a white shimmery highlight, a light shimmery blue, a medium shimmery blue and a dark navy. As you can see from the picture of the palette each eyeshadow is numbered 1-4. What I love about these palettes is that on the back they contain a step-by-step instruction of how these colours can create an eyeshadow look by using the numbered eyeshadows.
I decided to create my eye look using these step-by-step instructions exactly how they are written on the back of the palette. I would also like to say that in the pictures below I have used Nyx Jumbo Pencil in Milk as a base on my left eye, and left my right eye bare, with no primer or base applied. I did this to show you the result if you use a base under the eyeshadows compared to if you just used the eyeshadows on their own.

Left - Eyeshadows applied over Nyx Jumbo Pencil in Milk         Right - Eyeshadow applied with no base or primer




First I applied the number 2 in the palette all over my lid. Next I applied number 3 in my crease and made sure to blend the edges very well to get rid of the harsh eyeshadow line. Next I used a small eyeliner brush and grabbed number 4 in the palette and smudged this on my lash line and bottom lash line, taking the place of using an eyeliner. Finally I used number 1 in the palette under my brow bone for a highlight. The instructions on the back do not say to add a highlight to your inner corner, but as I like this look I decided to add it anyways using the number 1 in the palette. To finish off the look I did not use an eyeliner on the upper lash line but did apply some to my waterline and tight line, using Maybelline’s Scandaleyes Waterproof Kohl Kajal in Black. I then curled my lashes and applied one coat of my Maybelline’s Scandaleyes mascara in Retro Glam.


Now I think these shadows are pretty pigmented without a base, but it doesn't last all day and it does look a little splotchy and uneven. If you do use these eyeshadows with a base however it looks amazing and the pigmentation is very good and the shadows do last all day. I myself never wear eyeshadows without a primer, but if you are a beginner at makeup you may not already have one so this allows you to see what it would look like without a base or primer added. The only complaint I have with these eyeshadows is that the dark navy colour marked number 4 is a little less pigmented than the others, and if you plan on using this as an eyeliner you really need to pack the colour on to get a dark line. If you don’t want a harsh eyeliner look you could of course use less product and it would create a very subtle definition to your lash line without looking too harsh.


The packaging for this product is great and the clasp is very strong so you don’t need to worry about this breaking open in your handbag if you wanted to bring it for touch-ups. The sponge tip applicator that comes with the eyeshadow palette contains a normal sponge applicator on one side but on the other side has a slightly more pointed end to it so that you can use it for the eyeliner process. I personally do not use this but I would assume it would be helpful for a beginner that wouldn't necessarily have makeup brushes available to use. Overall I think this palette is pretty good and would be quite helpful for beginners with makeup.

10 comments:

  1. nice palette, and great look :)

    http://www.bloglovin.com/en/blog/4602025

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous look, a blue smokey eye is such a great variation on the classic look :o) Xx

    Makeup by Candlelight

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love blue smokey eyes :) very fun to pull off as long as you are ok with wearing colours

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Aww why not! I love wearing blue eyeshadows. It honestly doesn't even look that dramatic in person. My favourite coloured eyeshadows to wear are purple and blue :). I also own this quad in a redish brown shades which you may prefer if you like more neutral tones. It is called Eyestudio Intense Chic (02 Vivid Purple) but I promise it is not purple!

      Delete
  4. Love the colors! You look great with them :)

    didianadi.blogspot.mx 

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looking great! xx

    http://intheeve.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. great post.

    beautydrugs.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. hey I love your blog! Mind checking out mine???

    http://zhanayakayy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

UA-51663625-1